connecting to a server

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 23:17:01 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Bill Stanley <bstanle at wowway.com> wrote:
:

> PS is there any other way to get the big file to the laptop.  I tried a DVD
> but this file is to big for even a DVD.  (The largest file you can put on a
> DVD is 2 GB.  I tried and failed.)

Oh?  I routinely burn image files larger than that and have had
occasions where I accidentally wrote the file on the DVD instead of
burning the image.  DVDs (single-sided, single-layer) can handle files
up to 4.3GiB (4.7GB) in size.

Larger than that and you're asking for trouble unless you use a
dual-layer (8.6/9.4G) disc.

You can do this with a USB flash drive that is large enough (> 4.3GiB)
and has a file system that handles files that large (i.e., NOT VFAT),
but ftp (or any of its variants) or a direct ethernet connection
between the machines should work.