create a boot-able disk from an iso file

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Jan 11 22:42:49 UTC 2011

Joep L. Blom wrote:
> There are so many claims of viruses for Linux but I never saw one
> and I'm working with Unix since 1978 and with Linux since 1992. Of
> course there are methods to enter Unix/Linux systems but gain access
> to root - which is a necessity for doing serious damage - is IMO
> only possible due to neglect by the owner (e.g. using root as his
> main user).

I think root access isn't necessary at all for doing serious damage. For
a "normal user" like me, the most valuable data are stored in my home
directory and malware running with my privileges can delete all those
files. That would probably be the greatest damage that could be done to
my system.  Furthermore, as a normal user the malware can start
applications e.g. to join a botnet and send spam mails. That would also
be a major damage, this time for the network, not for my machine. And
again root access isn't necessary.

Nils