create a boot-able disk from an iso file

Boggess Rod rboggess at tenovacore.com
Tue Jan 11 17:46:02 UTC 2011

<Remainder elided.>

>I know all this already...  Luckily, I was able to download a version
of
>Win XP where the DRM stuff was disabled.  I have to observe the VM
>carefully since I know that is is a cracked version.  On the plus side,
>a lot of the MS bloat-ware has been removed and it is ideal for use in
>VM.  (the footprint is very small)  Updates are out of the question,
the
>MS firewall and virus checker ??? has been also disabled.  This makes
it
>really dangerous as a stand alone OS but for a VM (particularly for
home
>use) it seems OK.  Only time will tell.
>
>Bill Stanley

I don't understand why you would want to run a lobotomized version when
you have a legal license. I don't really want to know more details, but
if you change your mind, you can get the install disks here:

http://www.tipandtrick.net/2008/download-unmodified-original-windows-xp-
with-sp3-integrated-full-retail-and-vl-install-cd-iso-image-from-msdntec
hnet-plus-via-http-or-torrent/

If you're your schizophrenic friend, that's fine; but if you're really
turning this loose on someone else, I hope they're a friend you plan to
visit often. You know they'll save the image when they shut it down.
Within fifteen minutes of connecting the VM to the network, the saved
image will include viruses. Then you'll have to provide a new, clean VM
(sans all their saved documents).

Anyway, I really don't want to know, but if you only used the pirated
version because it's all you could find, you might change your mind and
have another go with these install images, and use the license number on
the sticker attached to the laptop. I'm pretty sure you can still
(legally) run this inside of a VM, but DRM will block many games because
they're running in a VM (even if it's legal).

(I've been running WinDirStat lately looking for my lost disk space, so
I know what you mean by bloat. The XP patches consume as much space as
the Original XP Pro SP3 install. It has doubled in size. This means, in
essence, that MS completely rewrote XP since it was released. Wow.)