Can the "AMD Turion 64-X2" processor run 64 bit Ubuntu?

sam tygier samtygier at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 11 10:15:01 UTC 2011

On 10/01/11 19:12, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 09:41 -0600, Wade Smart wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 09:33, Bill Stanley<bstanle at wowway.com>  wrote:
>>> I need an opinion on this... Can the "AMD Turion 64-X2" processor run 64 bit
>>> Ubuntu?
>>>
>>> I want to install Ubuntu on a Dell Inspiron 1504  notebook computer and I am
>>> sure that the 32 bit version works but if the 64 bit version works also, I
>>> would install that instead.  The computers manual under specifications says
>>> the processor has
>>>
>>> data width = 64 bits
>>> processor address width = 40 bits.
>>>
>>> Of course this says nothing about the address and data buses on the computer
>>> (only the processor).  My suspicion is that this is not a true 64 bit
>>> processor.  The computer it is installed on also might not be 64 bit.  Does
>>> anybody know what the true story is or is this just marketing double talk
>>> meant to confuse the consumer (meaning that it is actually a 32 bit
>>> computer).
>>>
>>> Also... I intend to upgrage the computer memory from the stock 512 MB to 2
>>> GB or more.   The manual says that 2 GB is the maximum but in some forums I
>>> have visited say that you can put up to 4 GB in the computer. Once again,
>>> does anybody out there know the answer to this one?
>
> Less than 4 gigs of ram, use 32bit. It actually seems to run faster,
> with much less hassles. More than 4 gigs, run 64 bit. That seems to be
> the consensus of opinion on all the Linux lists. Ric

the 64bit version has more compiler optimisation enabled, and so is faster at many CPU intensive things

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/ubuntu-904-32-bit-vs-64-bit-benchmarks
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/32bit_and_64bit
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=998&num=3

i guess the developers are more likely to be using 64bit, so that has been improving most.

sam