create a boot-able disk from an iso file

Bill Stanley bstanle at wowway.com
Mon Jan 10 19:29:17 UTC 2011

On 01/10/2011 02:16 PM, Doug wrote:
> On 01/10/2011 11:16 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 10 January 2011 15:52, Bill Stanley<bstanle at wowway.com> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> I finally was able to run Brosero of the ISO. There was a file name
>>> problem
>>> which I overcame by renaming the file. I was still unsuccessful.
>>>
>>> 1 the resulting disk was too large for a cr so I tried to create a DVD
>>> instead. This seemed to work well in that a DVD was created and
>>> verified by
>>> Brasero to be good. However, I was unable to boot from the DVD. I think
>>> the computer allows booting from a DVD but I am not sure. It is an Dell
>>> Inspiron 1501 and has a DVD disk reader/burner installed.
>> Have you checked the boot sequence by going into the BIOS on startup
>> and checking the the CD/DVD drive is checked before the hard disk?
>>
>> Where did you get the image from?
>>
>> Colin
>>
> Yes, check the bios. I have a similar laptop (1505) and it definitely
> _will_
> boot from a CD or a DVD. I just tried the Zorin DVD, and it works.

Very good news!  Now some further questions.  On the download page of
the Ubuntu website I see that there is a separate web-page for netbooks.
  What's the difference (if any) between a laptop and a netbook.   I
suspect that I do not want the netbook version.  Should I go to the
desktop download page and select 64-bit desktop?  I have, up to now,
used only a traditional desktop.  Are there special procedures to use
when installing Ubuntu to a laptop?

Bill Stanley