Odd chrs in filenames

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Sat Jan 8 23:51:03 UTC 2011

I have hundreds of classical music files with what seems to be foreign
chrs in the file name. It is not possible to copy these to a backup -
it says 'file does not exist' but gives the name with some 'black
diamond' chrs in the name. I'm assuming these diamonds are the chrs it
does not know what to do with. I have to skip the file to continue.
There may be a thousand+ of these chrs - too many to do by hand. I
tried skipping manually, and it became clear this would take a VERY
long time, and I would still not get a copy.

Is there a way to semi-automatically change these chrs to their
'nearest good chr' so it would be approximately readable correctly in
English, AND the comp would like the name? :-)

Thanks,

 rikona