Flash Drive problem

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Tue Jan 4 21:00:41 UTC 2011

On 01/04/2011 12:27 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> Den 2011-01-04 21:10:41 skrev Patton Echols <p.echols at comcast.net>:
>
>> I have been given a compact flash card with the request that I
>> recover files from the card.  When a usb card reader is plugged, no
>> reaction.  I've looked at the log viewer and there are no messages in
>> any log when the card reader is plugged in w/o card (I think that is
>> normal) and no messages in any log when the card is plugged in -
>> pretty abnormal I think.
>>
>> I have tested the reader with another card.
>>
>> Any thoughts on getting a reaction from this card?
>>

> You have tested your card reader with another card, and that proved
> that your card reader works?
> Have you also tested the card (the one that doesn't work in your card
> reader) in another card reader?

Good idea.  Tried it in a built in (not usb) reader on my windows
desktop.  Shows as an unformatted card.  Booted that machine to a live
cd and dmesg shows it as an unknown file system.  Using dd to image to a
file now.  We'll see what we get off of it.

> The only time it happened to me that a card didn't work in my card
> reader, the card was broken (which I found out by testing it in other
> card readers), except one when I tried a Memory Stick card in my
> reader, because there is no Linux support for Memory Stick for my card
> reader… When you tested your card reader, did you test it with a
> Complact Flash card? Well, I don't know what kind of card reader you
> got, but most of them support many kinds of cards.

Yeah, this one is a dedicated (lexar) usb CF reader.