My computer is a wreck?

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 18:08:59 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 9:06 AM,  <jimkvg at 3web.com> wrote:
> Yesterday I went ahead shooting trouble in my computer.  I opened the side
> cover of PC and looked at the motherboard and components.  I pushed the
> front power button and I noticed that the CPU cooling fan was turned on
> running.  I assumed the CPU was ok.  I noticed the blue LED indicator on the
> motherboard and it was illuminating.  I assumed the motherboard was ok.  The
> monitor was still black (in off mode).  I shutted PC down and unplugged the
> SATA hard drive.  When I turned the PC on, still the same ... monitor was
> still black.  I assumed it was not the hard drive.  I then resorted to
> clearing CMOS ram onboard.  I switched the back case switch off.  Pulled
> jumper off #1 and #2 and pushed it into #2 and #3 to clear the ram.  Then
> back to #1 and #2.  When I powered up the PC,... BINGO!  The startup
> information appeared on the monitor!  I plugged the hard drive back on and
> powered the PC up.  Indeed, it booted up ... to very much of my happiness!
>  I admit I was worried that the new motherboard was fried by the conflict in
> the boot system caused by the Ubuntu 10.10 live CD.  I noticed that the date
> on the upper right corner was Dec. 16.  It seemed that the ram had been
> locked up since then.  Now it is Jan. 3!  Battery is ok.  My computer is not
> a wreck!  : )  Whew!  Thank you some readers who tried to help me solve the
> problem.  Happy New Year!

I would not be quite so sure - this is a very odd situation.

If you have a backup of what your old CMOS settings were before the
reset, I'd take a look at them to see if there's anything fishy going
on.  Normally, the settings in your CMOS will not be impacted in any
way by installing a different OS, at least not that I know of....