Organizing maintenance history and warranty type records

Sun Jan 2 18:40:25 UTC 2011

Andy Graybeal wrote:

> Is there a 'sys-admins friend' type application for keeping track of
> maintenance, config changes, and warranty information more or less
> organized by the machines name?

Sticking config files under some sort of version control is a common
way to keep track of changes to them, and of who to blame for what. Git
is currently quite a fashionable version control system.

There are larger systems like puppet which are designed for managing
large numbers of machines, but I gather they assume quite a high degree
of consistency.

For warranty info, I've never gone beyond a dymo label with a start and
end date on it stuck to the machine.

--
Avi.