sshfs - user and group permissions

Smoot Carl-Mitchell smoot at tic.com
Sun Jan 2 15:31:50 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-01-02 at 14:24 +0000, David Fletcher wrote:

> This to me just seems ridiculous. Why should it matter what the uid/gid
> numbers are on the other machine after it's been given a valid user ID
> and password? I don't get it. I thought sshfs was supposed to mount a
> remote directory as if it's a local directory, but it doesn't work
> unless the uid/gids on each machine are the same! Surely this can't be
> correct?

Apologies.  I was thinking sshfs was using NFS semantics.  Looks like it
does use the authorization information of the user making the SSH
connection including the primary and secondary groups of the SSH user.

For the files you want to share, I'd make sure both users are members of
the sharing group and the file has group write permission.

Again I apologize for the bad information.  It can be frustrating to be
led down a blind alley.

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect