Problem moving a laptop between two networks

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Sat Jan 1 21:56:07 UTC 2011

> Message: 5 Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 20:31:16 -0500
> From: Jay Ridgley <jridgley2 at austin.rr.com>
> Subject: Re: Problem moving a laptop between two networks
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>> >
>> > Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 11:14:13 -0500 From: Tom Browder
>> > <tom.browder at gmail.com> Subject: Re: Problem moving a laptop between
>> > two networks To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general
>> > discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> Message-ID:
>> > <AANLkTikMxRNEkr7W8znFd5TJaoLrDgEx0BERiemnCER1 at mail.gmail.com>

>> > First of all, I highly recommend using package wicd--cured all network
>> > problems for me.
>> >
>> > Then see what happens.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > -Tom
>> >
>> > Thomas M. Browder, Jr.
>> > Niceville, Florida
>> > USA
> Thanks Tom,
>
> I installed wicd and have got my laptop working fine on my network (both
> wired and wireless). Next time I visit my son I will see how it goes
> there. If I have problems you may hear from me again(it may be a while
> as he is not in he same city).
>
> Cheers,
> Jay

Folks,
cc: Tom

Well I just returned from a visit with my son... His network still is not
visible to me and I am still not able to connect, it is frustrating as all get
out, to say the least.

I did find out that he does NOT broadcast his ESSID and uses Network Manager we
are both running Ubuntu 10.04.1 (as I said in my earlier messages).

Ideas and other things to try...

Thanks and Happy new Year,
Jay
--