Hostapd + bridge with ifupdown

Michal Zatloukal myxal.mxl at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 07:52:13 UTC 2011

On Mon Jan 17 21:16:33 UTC 2011, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Michal Zatloukal <myxal.mxl at
> gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi there.
>>
>> I'm migrating my debian {router|AP|home_server|etc} to ubuntu-server and
>> have run into this problem - what exactly am I supposed to put in
>> /etc/network/interfaces to have the system work as a typical
>> access-point
>> - the wired network is unprotected, while the WiFi is protected with
>> WPA2-configured hostapd, and the two interfaces are bridged into br0?
>
> Have you considered saving your /etc/network/interfaces file and
> letting the system set one up for you (and see if that works)?

Not sure what you mean - my problem is figuring out what to put into the
file/whether what I have now is correct as I couldn't find any examples in
the documentation. I believe editing the interfaces file is the supported
way of configuring the network, unless I missed something (CLI
networkmanager?)

>> With natty, this does not set up the network on boot-up as expected.
>
> Natty is in alpha test, so you're liable to run into oddball things -
> have you tried Maverick?

No. I moved from debian specifically to natty to get a newer kernel which
contains a driver I need. Googling around, it seems to be a common issue
introduced in maverick which can be worked around:
Either the documentation is wrong or the use case is not addressed and not
supported, or there's a bug that needs fixing (possibly reporting).