Beagle stopped working after update

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Tue Feb 15 22:14:01 UTC 2011

Hello NoOp,

Tuesday, February 15, 2011, 11:48:57 AM, NoOp wrote:

N> On 02/14/2011 08:03 PM, rikona wrote:
>> Now running 10.04.2. Did a recent update, and that seems to have
>> caused a couple of problems.
>>
>> (1) Beagle stopped working after the update. The Beagle GUI works, but
>> produces no hits for a word that should return at least several hits.
>> Same for beagle-query CLI - no hits, and no errors. Running all the
>> Beagle tools produces reasonable results. Looking in .beagle shows a
>> reasonable index - right size, date, etc. - has about 12,000 docs.
>> Everything seems to be "working" - BUT it produces no hits.

N> Beagle is pretty much dead:
N> http://beagle-project.org/Main_Page

Yes - I saw that. I suspect something in the update broke it. It was
working quite well before that.

N> I recommend trying recoll instead:
N> http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/recoll
N> http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/recoll/
N> as you will see, recoll is activly worked on:

I tried recoll back a bit, and even worked with the developer to add a
few advanced search capabilities. At that time it was not as useful to
me as Beagle, so I switched to Beagle. But, if Beagle can't be
resurrected, it will probably be my next choice. I have currently gone
back to DTsearch, an excellent search tool that runs on Win. The
version I have can index most of my linux box via the local net, but
permissions get in the way of some stuff.

Big question, though - does Beagle work on your comp? I'm trying to
see if it's just me, or it has failed with all updated 10.04 installs.

Thanks very much for the info.

--

 rikona