flaky residential router

Thufir Hawat hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 20:15:03 UTC 2011

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 22:49:00 -0800, rikona wrote:

> Running Lucid 32 - I started getting the same problem after a recent
> update - sometimes no network at all, of any kind, in any direction.
> Rebooting brings it back [so far]. I was not able to get it running
> without a reboot. In my case it is not the router because other boxes on
> the router work fine. All is wired, no wireless. Before the update I
> never had this problem - the network ran reliably. Perhaps something re
> the update? Did your system work well before an update?
>
> Perhaps someone could suggest where and what to look for the next time
> it happens, to help diagnose it.

It could be the same problem.  While I blame the router when the skype
phone hangs or crashes, it could just as well be the phone itself.  So,
really, the situations are consistent with each other.

In your case and my case, why would rebooting the computer fix the
networking in a way that ifconfig isn't?

thufir at tleilax:~$ nl /etc/lsb-release
     1	DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
     2	DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.04
     3	DISTRIB_CODENAME=lucid
     4	DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS"
thufir at tleilax:~$

-Thufir