flaky residential router

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Fri Feb 11 06:49:00 UTC 2011

Hello Thufir,

Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 7:54:06 PM, Thufir wrote:

TH> I have a strange, intermittent, connection problem.  Oddly enough, the
TH> wireless part of the router seems to work fine.  However, the computer
TH> will periodically experience connectivity problems only solved by a
TH> reboot.

TH> I try:

TH> ifconfig eth0 down; ifconfig eth1 down; ifconfig eth0 up; ifconfig eth1
TH> up; ifconfig; ping 192.168.1.1

TH> and the router's available, however I cannot ping google.com, I get
TH> "network unavailable" which, given that the wireless connection is
TH> working, this is kinda odd.  (Yes, the wireless is connected to my
TH> router, not to my neighbors -- I double checked.)

TH> I've tried powercycling the router, but get the same result as above.
TH> However, restarting the computer allows a reconnection.

TH> Obviously, I need to replace the router.  However, that doesn't explain
TH> what's going on.  Why would restarting the computer have any effect?  If
TH> I was on Windows, I'd suspect corrupted system files or something along
TH> those lines.

Running Lucid 32 - I started getting the same problem after a recent
update - sometimes no network at all, of any kind, in any direction.
Rebooting brings it back [so far]. I was not able to get it running
without a reboot. In my case it is not the router because other boxes
on the router work fine. All is wired, no wireless. Before the update
I never had this problem - the network ran reliably. Perhaps something
re the update? Did your system work well before an update?

Perhaps someone could suggest where and what to look for the next time
it happens, to help diagnose it.

--

 rikona