Autorun is VERY bad

James p3nndrag0n at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 22:09:45 UTC 2011

Hi

kellyremo<kellyremo at zoho.com>  wrote:
> [...]
Shmoocon-2

> >> RTFM
> >
> > That was incredibly useful.  Thank you for taking the time to enrich
> > the knowledge of the community at large by providing this
information.

> > I especially appreciate how you make a new member feel so
welcome :)

> > Have a great and shiny day!
>
> Encouraging people to read documentation *is* the way to enrich
the
> knowledge of the community.
>
> Read

I'd also encourage them to explore their system as well. Without
reading the maual I came across it when checking thru the properties
dialogue of any folder. Basically open any folder. Click "edit" then
"preferences" and choose the media tab. A number of menus will be
found there including one marked "software" which it seems is set to
ask by default, i.e. to give an autorun prompt. There's also a checkbox
at the bottom marked "never prompt or start programs on media
insertion"

The prob with manuals is that not everyone gets them (understands
them). What one sees as simple another sees as hard and visa versa.
Reminds me of an english test in highschool where my teacher said I
answered all the hard Q's and left the easy ones. I found them the
exact opposite

James