Unixxx S/N Generator?

devicerandom devicerandom at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 14:08:14 UTC 2011

On 08/02/11 08:01, Doug wrote:

>>> I have changed the name of the thread so as not to compromise the spam
>>> detector, because that's what this "unique" thing is. This is not a
>>> pleas for
>>> assistance with Ubuntu, this is a blatant attempt to get somebody to do
>>> for free what he should clearly be paying for, since he's looking for
>>> some-
>>> one to help him run his business. Please put this "unique"thread on the
>>> spam list.
>>
>> Huh?!?!?
>> I had no idea that this list was only for hobbyists. If I have a
>> business motivation for my question, am I allowed to post it here?
>>
>> --PE
>>

> I have no objection whatever to someone asking a question about how to
> use Ubuntu, no matter what he uses it for. I would be encouraged if
> someone is using it to run a business. But that doesn't mean that he
> should be asking for free service for something he should expect to
> have to pay for. And no, I'm not an IT person being cheated out of a
> job, but of course, somebody is. Fortunately, we don't see RTFM very
> much anymore, since most readers do try, but this person didn't seem to
> have gone even that far. Simply inputting "generate random
> numbers in bash" into Google will come up with answers.
>
> Some time ago, there was a big fuss about some folks asking for
> scripting help, and some readers jumped on them for asking the list
> folks to do their homework! Well, I didn't take it that anyone was
> asking for homework help, but even if they were, that's OK by me.
> That's not something one would expect to have to pay for, I hope. In
> every case, a script was submitted that wasn't working, and the poster
> was asking for assistance--not for a new program to solve something. And
> I don't think of homework as a "hobby," even if the supplicant
> is not studying to becoming a sysadmin. (For that matter, someone who
> actually has homework has already paid in coin for his lessons, and
> believes that the instruction is worth it.)
>
> Perhaps you see the difference?

Uhm, no. I mean, why is payment a discriminant? Doing the same question
for a hobby would have been fine?

Yes, it was quite a simple question probably (and I even offered to
write for a few bucks -too bad there is uuid already :) ) but well, so
what if it's for money or for amusement?

--
http://devicerandom.org