Unixxx S/N Generator?

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Tue Feb 8 08:01:49 UTC 2011

On 02/08/2011 02:25 AM, Patton Echols wrote:
> On 02/07/2011 03:34 PM, Doug wrote:
>> On 02/07/2011 12:28 PM, Alex wrote:
>> I have changed the name of the thread so as not to compromise the spam
>> detector, because that's what this "unique" thing is. This is not a
>> pleas for
>> assistance with Ubuntu, this is a blatant attempt to get somebody to do
>> for free what he should clearly be paying for, since he's looking for
>> some-
>> one to help him run his business.  Please put this "unique"thread on the
>> spam list.
>
> Huh?!?!?
> I had no idea that this list was only for hobbyists.  If I have a
> business motivation for my question, am I allowed to post it here?
>
> --PE

I have no objection whatever to someone asking a question about how to
use Ubuntu, no matter what he uses it for.  I would be encouraged if
someone is using it to run a business.  But that doesn't mean that he
should be asking for free service for something he should expect to
have to pay for.  And no, I'm not an IT person being cheated out of a
job, but of course, somebody is.  Fortunately, we don't see RTFM very
much anymore, since most readers do try, but this person didn't seem to
have gone even that far.  Simply inputting "generate random
numbers in bash" into Google will come up with answers.

Some time ago, there was a big fuss about some folks asking for
scripting help, and some readers jumped on them for asking the list
folks to do their homework!  Well, I didn't take it that anyone was
asking for homework help, but even if they were, that's OK by me.
That's not something one would expect to have to pay for, I hope. In
every case, a script was submitted that wasn't working, and the poster
was asking for assistance--not for a new program to solve something.
And I don't think of homework as a "hobby," even if the supplicant
is not studying to becoming a sysadmin. (For that matter, someone who
actually has homework has already paid in coin for his lessons, and
believes that the instruction is worth it.)

Perhaps you see the difference?

--doug

--doug