Needed fully functional [NOT 'Live'(sic)] Linux on USB stick - was [Re: Ubuntu on pendrive]

Richard Owlett rowlett at pcnetinc.com
Mon Dec 26 16:40:29 UTC 2011

Liam Proven wrote:
>[snip]
>>
> With the best will in the world, I think you're being unrealistic. There
> are quote a few tens of THOUSANDS of software packages that form part of
> Ubuntu. Testing every possible interaction is impossible. (Ever heard of
> the term "combinatorial explosion"?)

I'm not THAT difficult ;)
All my 'plaints have been specifically about the Live CD.
And more specifically about getting in on both my machines
in a configuration which would be usable *TO ME*.

> In this instance, what you are trying to do /does/ work - I have done it
> repeatedly in the last 2 months as part of a project I am developing.
> However, it is nonstandard & has an element of risk.
>
> Have you tried what I suggested yet? I.e. disconnecting your hard disc
> first?

I started an attempt. On my desktop machine, the physical
location of the drive's data cable is not conducive to
attempting this.

Someone mentioned an "alternative install procedure" which
apparently give more options or perhaps makes them more visible.