Needed fully functional [NOT 'Live'(sic)] Linux on USB stick - was [Re: Ubuntu on pendrive]

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 03:21:34 UTC 2011

On Dec 24, 2011 10:36 PM, "Richard Owlett" <rowlett at pcnetinc.com> wrote:

> Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> On 24 December 2011 17:28, Richard Owlett<rowlett at pcnetinc.com>  wrote:

>>> Oh ye of over abundant faith. I've having computer failures for 50
YEARS ;/

>> Same here (well 44 years anyway), but generally they have been down to
>> operator error :(
>>
>> Colin
>>

> But the "poor innocent" had said:
>
> "Just try it. Forget instructions. Just do it. It's easy. It just works."
>
> More seriously, Ubuntu/Canonical/???? has a much more serious problem!
>
> inadequate *TESTING* !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>

> As a sophmoric engineering co-op I got the relevant "wake up" call.
> Ubuntu has yet to receive relevant reality check!

With the best will in the world, I think you're being unrealistic. There
are quote a few tens of THOUSANDS of software packages that form part of
Ubuntu. Testing every possible interaction is impossible. (Ever heard of
the term "combinatorial explosion"?)

In this instance, what you are trying to do /does/ work - I have done it
repeatedly in the last 2 months as part of a project I am developing.
However, it is nonstandard & has an element of risk.

Have you tried what I suggested yet? I.e. disconnecting your hard disc
first?