Keeping focused to the same window no matter what happens

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 12:12:00 UTC 2011

2011/12/26 Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au>:
> On 26/12/11 21:29, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

>>> I can  only guess that you are using either Unity or Gnome 3 or
>>> poor-man's
>>> Gnome
>>
>> Ubuntu 10.10 at the moment, so yes, it's Gnome 2.
>>
>>> because I am using KDE and at them moment I have 6 desktops/workspaces
>>> and each one contains a running application - eg, Thunderbird, Firefox, a
>>> Game, LibreOffice, mc (Midnight Commander), and vlc (was watching
>>> Futurama a
>>> few minutes ago on TV).
>>
>> Well, I have 16 workspaces (setup via Compiz-Fusion) and the most
>> common is that I use 3 or 4 of those, maybe 1-3 different applications
>> on each one, so it's not exactly the same as yours but fairly similar.
>>
>>> All running and none interfere with the other. I
>>> simply switch between them as I want.
>>
>> I do that too. No problems at all.
>>
>>> Isn't this what you are wanting to do? If so then switch to KDE - simple.
>>
>> Yes, I do that all the time without any kinds of problems, EXCEPT the
>> one that I described (or failed to describe?) earlier.
>>
>> Maybe you understand my problem very accurately, but to be sure, try
>> the example below in your situation and tell me what happens:
>>
>> 1. Run everything that you usually run, just like always, except
>> LibreOffice.
>> 2. If you have an icon on your desktop for a LibreOffice document,
>> spreadsheet or whatever, preferably a huge one, click (or double
>> click, depending on your settings) it to open it with LibreOffice.
>> 3. Since it takes a while to open LibreOffice from scratch, especially
>> with a huge document, go back to one of your other windows and
>> continue working there.
>> 4. When LibreOffice is finally running and the document is loaded,
>> does it not take focus from what you were doing?
>>
>> In my case it even opens on my current workspace even if I was on
>> another workspace when clicking the icon.
>

> Do you have a similar menu for each application in Gnome 2 which you are
> using?:
>
> http://picpaste.com/snapshot1-8129WbEn.png
>
> In KDE you can control how an application behaves, and the above menu is to
> found in the topmost lefthand corner of the application's "taskbar".
>

> BC

Thanks for the tip. That made me think again. Finally I seem to have found it:
System → Preferences → Compiz Config System Manager → General → Focus
& Raise Behaviour → Focus Prevention Level: Very High (or High or at
least not Low) or edit the Focus Prevention Windows field.

Seems to work, otherwise I guess it needs some fine tuning.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ