Keeping focused to the same window no matter what happens

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Mon Dec 26 10:57:27 UTC 2011

On 26/12/11 21:29, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> 2011/12/26 Basil Chupin<blchupin at iinet.net.au>:

>>> Maybe as a solution if nothing else works (nödlösning…), but I don't
>>> want it minimized, I just want it keeping behind the current window
>>> until I decide to use it.
>>> A really nice thing would be if I could start different applications
>>> on different virtual desktops, still keeping the focus at what I am
>>> currently doing.
>>>
>>> Actually I'm quite surprised that this isn't the standard behaviour as
>>> default (keeping focus on what the user is currently doing), because
>>> does really anyone want to be interrupted by a newly opened
>>> application?
>>>

>>> Vänliga hälsningar
>>>
>>> Johnny Rosenberg
>>> ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ
>>

>> I can  only guess that you are using either Unity or Gnome 3 or poor-man's
>> Gnome
> Ubuntu 10.10 at the moment, so yes, it's Gnome 2.
>
>> because I am using KDE and at them moment I have 6 desktops/workspaces
>> and each one contains a running application - eg, Thunderbird, Firefox, a
>> Game, LibreOffice, mc (Midnight Commander), and vlc (was watching Futurama a
>> few minutes ago on TV).
> Well, I have 16 workspaces (setup via Compiz-Fusion) and the most
> common is that I use 3 or 4 of those, maybe 1-3 different applications
> on each one, so it's not exactly the same as yours but fairly similar.
>
>> All running and none interfere with the other. I
>> simply switch between them as I want.
> I do that too. No problems at all.
>
>> Isn't this what you are wanting to do? If so then switch to KDE - simple.
> Yes, I do that all the time without any kinds of problems, EXCEPT the
> one that I described (or failed to describe?) earlier.
>
> Maybe you understand my problem very accurately, but to be sure, try
> the example below in your situation and tell me what happens:
>
> 1. Run everything that you usually run, just like always, except LibreOffice.
> 2. If you have an icon on your desktop for a LibreOffice document,
> spreadsheet or whatever, preferably a huge one, click (or double
> click, depending on your settings) it to open it with LibreOffice.
> 3. Since it takes a while to open LibreOffice from scratch, especially
> with a huge document, go back to one of your other windows and
> continue working there.
> 4. When LibreOffice is finally running and the document is loaded,
> does it not take focus from what you were doing?
>
> In my case it even opens on my current workspace even if I was on
> another workspace when clicking the icon.

Do you have a similar menu for each application in Gnome 2 which you are
using?:

http://picpaste.com/snapshot1-8129WbEn.png

In KDE you can control how an application behaves, and the above menu is
to found in the topmost lefthand corner of the application's "taskbar".

BC

--
There are actually three kinds of mind: one kind grasps things unaided, the second sees what another has grasped, the third grasps nothing and sees nothing.
              Niccolo Machiavelli