..and now for something completely different (was: Re: Newbie query: Ubuntu vs openSUSE)

CJ Tres ctres at grics.net
Mon Dec 26 12:01:55 UTC 2011

On 12/25/2011 11:31 PM, Jared Norris wrote:
> Wow, this thread has received a fair bit of attention. It would appear
> there are multiple off topic threads within this one thread. Can we
> all please end this one as it would appear the person asking the
> original question has made a decision.
>
> I would also like to take this opportunity to gently remind everyone
> of the ubuntu-users FAQ - available at
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuUsersListFAQ - so that we can all remain
> on topic and following the list guidelines.

Agreed.... and failing that (I remember at leasts three requests to just
let it die), can anyone who absolutely *must* reply at least change the
subject line, if necessary, to reflect what's being discussed...  please?

I can clearly still remember what it was like first dipping my toes into
the Gnu/Linux pool - maybe 10 years ago - and all I can think about this
thread is that finding this mess in the archive might be rather
bewildering/frustrating to someone new to Linux who is interested in a
particular topic - even this one (though I'm not quite sure why), having
to wade through all the off-topic posts. Useful though they may be, if
someone needed *that* information, they would likely never find it in
this thread.

At least I don't remember seeing any top posting (another of my pet
peeves) in the thread... kudos for that!