Keeping focused to the same window no matter what happens

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Mon Dec 26 09:58:30 UTC 2011

On 26/12/11 20:40, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> Den 25 december 2011 22:55 skrev Conny Enström<uncurbed at swipnet.se>:
>> 2011-12-25 22:16, Johnny Rosenberg skrev:
>>
>>> Is this possible? How?
>>>
>>> Maybe I should try to explain what I'm actually asking for:
>>>
>>> In all operating systems I've tried so far in my life (Windows 98-XP,
>>> Ubuntu 7.04-11.10, Mandriva 2008.0-2009.0, Mint etc), there is one
>>> thing that annoys me a lot. Let's say that I just started up the
>>> operating system. Then I click a few icons to start a few applications
>>> that I usually need for the things I use to do. It's generally a web
>>> browser (Opera in my case), a spreadsheet application (LibreOffice
>>> Calc for instance) and maybe something more. Of course one of the
>>> applications, let's say Opera, are finished starting up before the
>>> others and I start to work with it. A few seconds later another
>>> application, let's say LibreOffice Calc, is ready to go. What happens
>>> then is that what I was typing in Opera is typed into LibreOffice Calc
>>> instead.
>>>
>>> Is there some way to prevent this from happening? I am supposed to be
>>> the one who decides which window should be in focus on my system, not
>>> the operating system or any of the applications. Is there a setting
>>> somewhere that I missed?
>>>

>>> Kind regards
>>>
>>> Johnny Rosenberg
>>> ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ
>>>
>> kanske detta/ Maybe this:
>> http://askubuntu.com/questions/20989/how-do-i-tell-a-start-up-program-to-start-minimized
> Maybe as a solution if nothing else works (nödlösning…), but I don't
> want it minimized, I just want it keeping behind the current window
> until I decide to use it.
> A really nice thing would be if I could start different applications
> on different virtual desktops, still keeping the focus at what I am
> currently doing.
>
> Actually I'm quite surprised that this isn't the standard behaviour as
> default (keeping focus on what the user is currently doing), because
> does really anyone want to be interrupted by a newly opened
> application?
>

> Vänliga hälsningar
>
> Johnny Rosenberg
> ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

I can  only guess that you are using either Unity or Gnome 3 or
poor-man's Gnome because I am using KDE and at them moment I have 6
desktops/workspaces and each one contains a running application - eg,
Thunderbird, Firefox, a Game, LibreOffice, mc (Midnight Commander), and
vlc (was watching Futurama a few minutes ago on TV). All running and
none interfere with the other. I simply switch between them as I want.

Isn't this what you are wanting to do? If so then switch to KDE - simple.

BC

--
There are actually three kinds of mind: one kind grasps things unaided, the second sees what another has grasped, the third grasps nothing and sees nothing.
              Niccolo Machiavelli