Newbie query: Ubuntu vs openSUSE

doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Fri Dec 23 06:07:44 UTC 2011

On 12/23/2011 12:37 AM, Rameshwar Kr. Sharma wrote:
> HELLO GUYS,
>
> I really needed the suggestion of the people of this great mailing
> list regarding the difference between the openSUSE and the Ubuntu
> distributions, finding myself new in this world of Linux or Unix
> (whatever you people call), I guess here people have nice experiences
> and thus can make better points.
>
> Best Regards.

Why not get a live CD for each of the systems, and run them.
You may find that one system is much more to your liking
than the other.  However, be aware that there are a number
of desktop environments available.  There might be more
for OpenSuse, I just don't know. There are some for
variations on Ubuntu, such a Xubuntu, Kubuntu, and even
Mint, which is a descendent, but not under Ubuntu control.

The "word" is that Gnome is on its way out, and something
like Unity will take its place.  You may find you don't like
Unity--apparently a lot of folks don't.  There were grumbles
about KDE when version 4 came out, but it's now up to (I
think) 4.8, and even since 4.5, it has been quite useable
and stable, and in some flavors, at least, is more user-
friendly to those who come from a Windows environment.

There are also "light" DTEs, like XFCE and LXDE which
you may be able to get on live CD for Suse and/or Ubuntu.
I haven't tried either one, so I just know they exist.

Good hunting!--doug