Sync services - Wuala vs Tonido

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 07:43:00 UTC 2011

Hello
I've discussed most of these points at length in a thread on the LyX
mailing list [1] (check all following posts).

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 8:46 PM, Patton Echols <p.echols at comcast.net> wrote:
> One of the articles I read said that spideroak is less than straightforward
> to set up. Do you find that to be true?

It is less straightforward than Dropbox, indeed, but it depends what
you want to do with it. (The upshot is that it's more flexible.) If
general backup, then it's easy. If sync, than it's more of a pain (in
my experience). Dedicate one full hour to SpiderOak and you'll get up
to speed.

> Also, what of their security
> model?
>
> In my case, an accident like Dropbox had (Customer 1 being able to
> read Customer 2's files) could be devastating to the Customers and cost me
> my job.  Not a risk I am willing to take.

It's different (and discussed in the linked thread). Dropbox always
has access to your data: any of their employees or a government
official could read it in no time, provided bad intent or proper
judicial paperwork. SpiderOak never has access to your data: it is
being encrypted on the client side, and transmitted via HTTPS in
encrypted form and thus stored on their servers. In other words,
SpiderOak only has access to scrambled bits. When you download the
data, SO ships you scrambled bits that are being decrypted on the
client side: all encryption/decryption happens on your computer. The
downshot is that if you lose your password you cannot recover it, nor
the data.

There are several useful links in my posts in [1]. Regards
Liviu

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg89720.html