Reading and writing files to a Windows partition

Dave Woyciesjes woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 14 21:40:05 UTC 2011

On 12/14/2011 02:11 PM, doug wrote:
> On 12/14/2011 11:12 AM, Bill Stanley wrote:
>> I dual boot with Windows. My Linus partitions are the usual partitions
>> and for windows I have 2 partitions C: and D: with D being a small
>> partition where I keep files that both Windows and Linux access. I
>> never write to C: and seldom read files on C:. I do this because in
>> the past file access to Windows was uncertain. (If I somehow mess up
>> D: with Linux writing files, its not a disaster.)
>>
>> My question is... With the improvements to Linux are these precautions
>> needed? Is Linux access to Win32 and NTFS file systems reliable enough
>> to not have to worry about?
>>
>> Bill Stanley
>>
> I have downloaded Windows files using my Linux system, and then copied
> them via Dolphin to the Windows
> partition. Having done that, I have opened them successfully in Windows.
> I have perhaps done that a dozen times,
> so it may not be definitive, but so far, all is copacetic.
>
> --doug

	For a while now, I've had my fstab setup to automagically mount the
NTFS partitions. Even the C drive. No issues. I even have my laptop
setup so the Documents, Music, Pictures, & Videos folder symlink to the
corresponding folders on the Windows partition.

	As someone else mentioned, just don't try it if Windows hibernated. I
turn off Hibernation, personally.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818