Reading and writing files to a Windows partition

David C. Curtis dave.c.curtis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 20:31:59 UTC 2011

On 11-12-14 11:12 AM, Bill Stanley wrote:
> I dual boot with Windows. My Linus partitions are the usual partitions
> and for windows I have 2 partitions C: and D: with D being a small
> partition where I keep files that both Windows and Linux access. I never
> write to C: and seldom read files on C:. I do this because in the past
> file access to Windows was uncertain. (If I somehow mess up D: with
> Linux writing files, its not a disaster.)
>
> My question is... With the improvements to Linux are these precautions
> needed? Is Linux access to Win32 and NTFS file systems reliable enough
> to not have to worry about?

I read/write/delete files in Windows partitions from Linux all the time
with only one issue. Just don't write to the Windows partitions while
Windows is in hibernation. When it wakes it'll 'see' corrupted files and
delete them.

I don't know how windows (un)mounts file systems and what it does when
waking from hibernation but I have been bit by this quirk fairly
recently (win7, 10.10 IIRC) and lost data.