a simple boot menu question

LinuxIsOne reallife at hmamail.com
Wed Dec 14 12:18:09 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have a simple doubt that in the file '/etc/default/grub', we have two lines:

(i)  GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
(ii) GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true

(i) If I change GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0    to

either    #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0    or    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=
{nothing after the equal sign}

does the above two lines are exactly same? Since in the second we are
just not having any time, so that it always display the boot menu
(while the PC boots) and the same thing (?) are we doing when we are
appending '#' symbol at the beginning of the line...is it okay that
anyone of this is okay?

(ii) GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true

If I change GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true    to

either     #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true    or
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=false

does the same thing? since making it 'false' so that the grub shows a
countdown to the timeout value (by default 10 secs) or either
appending '#' at the beginning of the file. Either of these two are
the same thing?

AND finally running:

sudo update-grub
sudo update-grub2