a simple boot menu question

LinuxIsOne reallife at hmamail.com
Tue Dec 13 10:34:55 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have a simple doubt that in the file '/etc/default/grub', we have two
lines:

(i)  GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
(ii) GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true

(i) If I change GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0    to

either    #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0    or    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT= *{nothing
after the equal sign}*

does the above two lines are exactly same? Since in the second we are just
not having any time, so that it always display the boot menu (while the PC
boots) and the same thing (?) are we doing when we are appending '#' symbol
at the beginning of the line...is it okay that anyone of this is okay?

(ii) GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true

If I change GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true    to

either     #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true    or
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=false

does the same thing? since making it 'false' so that the grub shows a
countdown to the timeout value (by default 10 secs) or either appending '#'
at the beginning of the file. Either of these two are the same thing?

AND finally running:

sudo update-grub
sudo update-grub2