COnverting an LXC to a virtual machine

Ivan Fetch ivan at ivanfetch.com
Mon Dec 12 05:58:46 UTC 2011

Hello,

I would like to convert some LXC containers into virtual machines, and am looking for advice on how to do this while maintaining an accurate package database.

SO far, I have copied the contents of an LXC into an initial Ubuntu 10.04 installation, mixing the contents of the initial install with the contents of the LXC. A down side to this, is that dpkg does not know about packages which were installed in the initial installation, for example, kernel images, grub, Etc.

How can I register these packages who's files are installed, although they are not listed in the package database? ALternatively, is there a better way to turn an LXC into a more complete; bootable system?

Thanks,

Ivan.