Open Office and / or Libre Office

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Sun Dec 11 12:58:05 UTC 2011

LinuxIsOne wrote:

> Yes that is correct but I was thinking, like we have many java but to
> set SUN java as default we run the command:
>
> sudo update-alternatives --set
> java /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java
>
> In the similar fashion, if to set the system wide default for LO?

I was under the impression that running both OpenOffice and LibreOffice
on the same system was considered a bit dangerous, since they
conflicted. I'm not aware of having the two of them installed at the
same time being a supported environment on Ubuntu, which would explain
why update-alternatives hasn't been notified of that option.

Why are you running both? Is there some features you need only
available in one, and others only available in the other? As I say,
much of the reccomendation is that you should run one or the other, but
not both.

I'm not sure why you ended up being advised to install the package from
Sun/Oracle, though. The Libre Office packaging team for Ubunu maintain
a PPA you can use to install it as you would any other software on
ubuntu:

https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa

Personally, I'd advise uninstalling the Libre Office you just
installed, and the OpenOffice.org that the distro came with, and just
follow the instructions on that PPA page.

PPAs are basically specific-case repositories, where packages that
aren't suitable for general distribution go - they're outside the
supported core of Ubuntu, but they do conform with all of Ubuntus
standards normally, and they have straightforward installation and
uninstallation. They can be created by anybody, though, so they're not
a lot safer that downloading any other installer from the net, though
that particular one is from the people who package LibreOffice for
Ubuntu, so you've already implicitly entrusted them by installing
OpenOffice.org :)

> > > 5. From where does LO would get the updates?
> >
> > If you have installed an app using the Ubuntu standard methods
> > (apt-get, synaptic or Software Centre) then it will get automatic
> > updates.  If you install by any other method then you will have to
> > install updates yourself unless the app has a built in method for
> > updating.
> >

> I installed from like Johnny told step by step since via Ubuntu
> Software Center that package was not there when I searched it!

Yeah, in that case you would need to go back and repeat those same
steps again when you feel the need to upgrade. Were you to use the PPA,
you'd get upgrades through the normal upgrade process.

--
Avi