What I do for a new machine?

Rigved Rakshit r.phate at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 15:45:05 UTC 2011

> > Removing old kernels still means that you have to open the Ubuntu
> Software
> > Center and click on some buttons.
>
> Please tell me those buttons....

1. In Synaptic or the Ubuntu Software Center, search for "linux-image",
without the quotes. Make sure that you only remove old kernel versions and
not your current kernel version. (Note: To find out your current linux
kernel version, type "uname -r" in the terminal, without the quotes.)
2. Similarly, search for "linux-headers". Again, make sure that you only
remove the older versions of the linux kernel headers.
3. Once the removal is finished, close Synaptic/Ubuntu Software Center.
Type "sudo update-grub" in the terminal. It will ask for your password.
Enter that, wait for the command to finish and you are done!

> > The old kernel versions don't get uninstalled automagically, unlike any
> other package.
>
> But I have uninstalled from Synaptic, are the old kernel still living my
> system?

Once you have un-installed the older versions manually, they get deleted
from the system. Same goes for the headers.

Best Regards,
Rigved Rakshit