Transparent windows: how to get rid of it?

Ioannis Vranos ioannis.vranos at
Sat Dec 3 12:05:16 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Freddy Van Ingelgom <freddyek at> wrote:
> I think that my question is confusing the way I posed here. In fact I should
> not speak about a window, but I do not know how to name it: sometimes it
> appears on the screen as a sort of indication were to put a existing window,
> a sort of placeholder or how should I name it? It is a sort of transparent
> rectangular that appears on top of my desktop and it does not affect the way
> I worked, it is there, I can see and continue my current work, and the only
> way to get rid of it is to resize a window, place it on this transparent and
> then the window takes the size of that transparent which disappear and after
> that I can return to the size that i like for my current work (Firefox for
> example, or whatever).
> I know that my question is not very clear, but the problem is that I dont
> know the name or the meaning, or even the purpose of that transparent
> rectangular.
> Any help is very appreciated.

When you see it again, press the key PrtSc (print screen) on your
keyboard to get a screenshot of your desktop, or alternatively run the
Screenshot application from the menu Accessories.

Then you may send us the screenshot, if it contains this "placeholder" thing.

What version of Ubuntu are you running?

Ioannis Vranos

More information about the ubuntu-users mailing list