Thunderbird icon in Unity launcher

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 30 16:35:32 UTC 2011

On 08/30/2011 07:20 AM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> I am running a fully updated Natty on my laptop. I downloaded and
> extracted a thunderbird tar.bz file to the Apps directory in my home folder.
>
> I followed the directions in the third answer at [1] to put it on the
> Launcher and change the icon to a default Thunderbird icon.
>
> [1]
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/13758/how-can-i-edit-create-new-launcher-items-in-unity-by-hand
>
> It starts Thunderbird but the Thunderbird icon does not show on the
> Launcher.  Its icon always ends up looking like the icon for the
> Workplace Switcher. Changing the icon in preferences does not work either.
>
> The proper icon shows in preferences and in the file manager but not on
> the Launcher.  When Thunderbird is running the icon in the upper left
> corner also looks like the Workplace Switcher icon.
>
> Does anyone know how to make the Thunderbird icon "stick" on the Launcher?

I run SeaMonkey from a home folder; I followed the instructions on
answer 33 in that thread, the one that starts with:
"This is a method without editing config files and without root privileges.

First create the Launcher on the Desktop (only temporary)"

Note: when creating the launcher, the proper icons for Thunderbird &
SeaMonkey are in:

/thunderbird/chrome/icons/default (default256.png is the best for me)
/seamonkey/chrome/icons/default (seamonkey.png)

respectively.