Trying to Load Ubuntu 11.04 onto HP Laptop. Failed at reboot

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Tue Aug 30 00:05:41 UTC 2011

On 30/08/11 03:39, NoOp wrote:
> On 08/29/2011 05:21 AM, Peter Fitzpatrick wrote:
>>
>> Hi Peter again!!
>>
>> Have uploaded file to paste bin at   http://paste.ubuntu.com/677172/
>>
>> However the following issue arose during execution:
>>
>> "gawk" could not be found, using "busybox awk" instead.
>> This may lead to unreliable results.
>>
>> It then went onto indentifying MBR's
>>
>> Trust this helps
>> Peter
>>

> You have multiple mount points defined:
> ================================ Mount points:
> =================================
>
> Device           Mount_Point              Type       Options
>
> /dev/loop0       /rofs                    squashfs   (ro,noatime)
> /dev/sda1        /media/091d6464-45e1-4ddf-9a2b-eb84f9e2acb0 ext4
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks)
> /dev/sr0         /cdrom                   iso9660    (ro,noatime)
>
> And I think that's the issue. Perhaps Goh or Tom can help you sort those
> out.
>
> Typical should be similar to the one in my pastebin that I posted:
> ================================ Mount points:
> =================================
>
> Device           Mount_Point              Type       Options
>
> /dev/sda1        /media/windows           fuseblk
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=512)
> /dev/sdb1        /                        ext4
> (rw,errors=remount-ro,commit=0)
>
> for a dual drive dual boot. And for a single drive (even with multiple
> OS's):
>
> ================================ Mount points:
> =================================
>
> Device           Mount_Point              Type       Options
>
> /dev/sda1        /                        ext4
> (rw,errors=remount-ro,commit=0)
>
> Note: last could be any /dev/sda(x) - on my HP laptop I have it on
> /dev/sda5.
>
> Your fstab is looking for / on /dev/sda1:

> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> # Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
> # for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
> # devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
> #
> proc            /proc           proc    nodev,noexec,nosuid 0       0
> /dev/sda1       /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
> # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
> UUID=13410db4-fb30-4d24-8f5c-9093f9397849 none            swap    sw
>            0       0

It's just getting more confusing now with the results of the new
bootinfo (his new pastebin). Now he has sda and sdb and his sdb looks
like his old disk which he is supposed to reset. *I'll think he has 2
disks* (on a labtop?) and I'll try a different approach.

Peter, please go to the grub prompt (grub>) by pressing 'c' when the
boot menu comes up when booting up the computer. (tap tap tap 'shift'
key if necessary as soon as you turn on the computer to get to the grub
menu). The at grub prompt, please enter the following commands and let
us know the output of each.

grub> ls
grub> ls (hd0,1)
grub> ls (hd1,1)
grub> search -f /boot/grub/grub.cfg
grub> search -f /vmlinuz
grub> search -f /initrd.img
grub> cat (hd1,1)/etc/lsb-release

I am going to jump the gun here, Peter (not to waste time).
Copy the outputs above on a piece of paper but continue with...

grub> set root=(hd1,1)
grub> linux (hd1,1)/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb1 ro
grub> initrd (hd1,1)/initrd.img
grub> boot
grub>

If there are any output from above, please note and let us know.
If the 2nd set of commands results in booting to Ubuntu, open up a
terminal and issue these commands.....
sudo grub-install /dev/sda
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade