Trying to Load Ubuntu 11.04 onto HP Laptop. Failed at reboot

Peter Fitzpatrick Peter at fitzpatrick.net.au
Mon Aug 29 12:21:48 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com
[mailto:ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com] On Behalf Of NoOp
Sent: Monday, 29 August 2011 4:28 AM
To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: Re: Trying to Load Ubuntu 11.04 onto HP Laptop. Failed at reboot

On 08/27/2011 08:35 PM, Peter Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Hi Tom
>
> Tried as you suggested but am not familiar with the system to get the
script
> to run. So I did not get as far as the grub probes.
> Can you detail the process a little more for the newbie
>
> Thanks
Please bottom post on this list.

To run the script via liveCD:

1. Download http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/
2. Extract the file boot_info_script060.zip - easiest it to use Nautilus
& then right click the file and select 'extract here'. That will extract
the zip and create an folder /boot_info_script060.
3. Open a terminal can cd to /boot_info_script060 then run the script.
Example (I put it into a folder called bootinto, but you can run from
anywhere):

$ cd /home/gg/tempdir/bootinfo/boot_info_script060
gg at gg:~/tempdir/bootinfo/boot_info_script060$ sudo bash boot_info_script.sh

boot_info_script version: 0.60        [17 May 2011]

Identifying MBRs...
Computing Partition Table of /dev/sda...
Computing Partition Table of /dev/sdb...
Searching sda1 for information...
Searching sda2 for information...
Searching sdb1 for information...
Searching sdb2 for information...
Searching sdb5 for information...

Finished. The results are in the file "RESULTS.txt"
located in "/home/gg/tempdir/bootinfo/boot_info_script060/".

$ ls
boot_info_script.sh  CHANGELOG  RESULTS.txt

So, now we want to post the RESULTS.txt file - but *not* here because
the file is too long for this list. So we paste to ubuntu's pastebin:

4. Open the RESULTS.txt in gedit:
$ gedit RESULTS.txt
Edit|Select All Edit|Copy
(or Ctrl+a and then Ctrl+c)

5. Open ubuntu pastebin from Firefox - http://paste.ubuntu.com/ and
paste the entire file there. Put your name/nym in the 'Poster' box &
then click the 'Paste!' button. You'll get a new page with the file.
Post the URL to that page here. Example:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/676714/

Hi Peter again!!

Have uploaded file to paste bin at   http://paste.ubuntu.com/677172/

However the following issue arose during execution:

"gawk" could not be found, using "busybox awk" instead.
This may lead to unreliable results.

It then went onto indentifying MBR's

Trust this helps
Peter