Trying to Load Ubuntu 11.04 onto HP Laptop. Failed at reboot

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Sun Aug 28 08:36:25 UTC 2011

On 28/08/11 16:01, Peter Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Goh Lip
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Just a question: On the last setup I set the swap area to a primary
> partition and it came up as being sda2. Is this the normal location or
> should we use sda5 which I think is the first extended partition?
>
> Thanks again.
> Peter

It's correct, yes, swap is now on a primary partition and it's now sda2.
That's because we've deleted all the previous partitions (and sda5).

With only 2 partitions, having extended and logical partition just for
swap doesn't seem right, and I do wonder how that came about in your
case. The installer will not do it this way and can only come about if
you manually and purposely set it this way.

Another possibility is that it already has these partitions (and others)
when you get that computer and other partitions have been deleted (to
remove data) before you get it. So I suggest you reset the partitions as
a precaution for some possible bad setup you inherited.

But it is better you read up some info on partitioning and the following
is a good start. Of course, we will be happy to help you if you have any
further queries.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoPartition

Still, hope you also look into your hardware and solve your installation
problem.

Regards - Goh Lip

--
人外有人,天外有天.