samba broken

Linda haniganwork at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 26 16:54:35 UTC 2011

This week my samba connection between my XP computer and my
Ubuntu 10.04.3 computer has quit working.  When I checked
the /etc/samba file had lost smbpasswd so I copied contents
of /etc/samba from my backup onto the Ubuntu computer but it
still does not work. I can ping from ubuntu to XP and vice
versa. I also bring up the XP computer under places network
as read only file systems. However the XP computer will not
even acknowledge the Ubuntu computer exits using Network
Places on XP or using Search for the computer. I checked
Hosts and lmhosts on XP and they are still there.  Any ideas
on why this has suddenly ceased working
I'm leaning towards removing samba and going through a fresh
setup since I'm stuck but thought someone might have a
suggestion on what happened
                                  Thanks
                                    Linda