Downgrade Thunderbird 6 to Thunderbird 5 from PPA

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 18 18:44:31 UTC 2011

On 08/18/2011 10:56 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> That was my plan. Now that Virtual Identity is fixed the issue is less
> critical, but the secondary goal of knowing how to roll back is still
> important to me. Mozilla plans on updating Tbird every three months. I
> like to keep a reasonably-new Tbird as Thunderbird Conversations
> pushes many patches to Mozilla and many features of Conversations
> require a very recent Tbird. So I will inadvertently break it  again.
> In other words, I need to learn how to handle living near the bleeding
> edge.

Easiest way is to install the mozilla version in a home folder & use
that instead. I have multiple versions of Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, and
Firefox installed in home folders so that I can test the differences.
Further, in installing this way I have no need to worry about the
installations accessing root folders & also have access to updates
directly from Mozilla when I wish.

I pretty well gave up on the Ubuntu Mozilla maintainers sometime back. I
still keep the Ubuntu versions installed, but only fire those up for
testing against the Mozilla versions and/or testing Joe Lesko's
SeaMonkey PPA builds.

As for Virtual Identity; if it is like other add-on's you may be able to
simply modify install.rdf file by adding the current version in the
<em:targetApplication> section(s). I've not used it so, no idea what the
install.rdf looks like for that one.