Need Help

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 12 03:23:02 UTC 2011

On 08/11/2011 07:23 PM, Goh Lip wrote:
> On 08/12/2011 03:23 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>> I had this problem (or something much like it) with Server 10.04 and
>> 10.10 on my PowerEdge 600SC.
>
> Yes Liam, I was wondering too about that too but the solution you and
> NoOp suggested doesn't ...."jive" (match, correlate, agree, correspond,
> sync, square,...) with the fact that Emmanuel had 2 exactly similar
> computers, one working, one not.

Could be that one is different: "(Am having two Machines, both Dell
powerEdge T310)"

One might have different hardware, or bios... the only way to tell is to
do an '$ sudo lshw' and compare. And that's probably a good idea since
he can get to the terminal from Recovery mode. Also, keep in mind what
initramfs is; a temporary file system that is loaded into memory...
could also be that the problem system has a hardware memory issue.

Further, if they do have slightly different hardware, finishing the
updates/upgrades may in fact install an upgrade that resolves the issue.
A base install (server or desktop) typically doesn't include all the
upgrade/fixes in the ISO, so it's (IMO) worth a try at least.

I guess the point is mute until Emmanuel confirms the exact boot
message. Typically such a message gives additional information along the
lines of:

> Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
> - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
> - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
> - Check root= (did the system wait for right device?)
> - Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
> ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/a0c7<snipped> does not exist. Dropping to a shell!
>

> BusyBox v1.13.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.13.3-1ubuntu11) built-in shell (ash)
> Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
>
> (initramfs) _

Rather than:

> Gave up waiting for root device
> Common problems: Boot argum ...
> ¬
> ¬
> ¬
>

> (initramfs)_

The fact that he got to the initramfs means that he got into BusyBox an
can then use the help etc., commands.

Futher:
$ sudo apt-get install -f
$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
(he can get to the terminal) may at least identify if any of the install
packages are broken/partially installed etc. If the kernel image is
broken, then this should fix, or at least identify such.

If that doesn't work then he may need to set a root delay, etc.

>> Considerable Googling led me to believe it's a common issue. In the
>> end, I had to install 8.04 (which was fine and unaffected) and then
>> upgrade it to 10.04. This worked fine, but took a long time.
>
> Now, this I almost suggested that Emmanuel reinstall grub - grub-install
> /dev/sda - as it could be, but quite unlikely, a faulty installation of
> grub. Liam, could could check on your PowerEdge 600SC installation which
> version of grub you're using (grub-install -v)? Thanks.

Reinstalling grub may help, but only if all packages are updated and
upgraded. I tend to look at a broader scope & try to pin down other
issues before focusing on grub. Afterall, grub works on the other
machine eh?

> Ah, well, let's see if we hear more from Emmanuel.
> Regards - Goh Lip

Yep.