Natty - Microphone Input has no sound

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 27 23:05:21 UTC 2011

On 04/24/2011 06:25 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> Has anyone else observed this?
>
> No microphone capture with Skype or Sound Recording with Natty 64
> (Ubuntu Classic) - works on Maverick 64 (same hardware).
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/768752
>
> L.

Lucio, I suggest that you open a new bug with the exact sound device
identifier - example:
[[HP G60]0x103c360b Conexant CX20583 (Pebble HSF) Internal mic not
functional]

I learned the hard way that there are just too many devices (even in the
same model of laptop/hardware & the only way to get someone to pay much
attention is to identify the device exactly in the bug title.

Ensure that you run the alsa-info[1] script & include the details.
Probably the most important part is the inclusion of the Codec and the
Subsystem Id. Example from mine
https://launchpadlibrarian.net/49566439/alsa-info.txt
:
!!HDA-Intel Codec information
!!---------------------------
--startcollapse--

Codec: Conexant CX20583 (Pebble HSF)
Address: 0
Function Id: 0x2
Vendor Id: 0x14f15067
Subsystem Id: 0x103c360b
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That should enable the dev(s) to home in on the specific device
immediately. Could be that you device actually differs from the original
author of the bug report.
https://launchpadlibrarian.net/70145146/Card0.Codecs.codec.0.txt
or this one:
<http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=bd4efa2ae7ae6e2e01e59347a77ba83bb31d69a0>
Anyway, it's best to check just to be sure.

More to possibly check:
<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=IDT+92HD81B1X5>
Also note in that last that multiple devices have that (Codec: IDT
92HD81B1X5), but may have a have different 'Vendor Id'. Hence the reason
to include both in the bug report title.

Good luck - sound/microphones never seems to be an easy solution.

[1]
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page
  http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Help_To_Debug
   http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh