2d chance at Unity

jim byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Thu Apr 21 19:58:40 UTC 2011

NoOp wrote:
> On 04/18/2011 08:43 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>>
>> I saw a link to the hardware requirements in another thread.  It wants
>> 512mb video ram and I can only give it 128 in a VM.  There are a lot of
>> smart people on this list and I am sure one of them has figured out how
>> to do it, but it's not worth the effort to me just to get an early peek
>> at Unity.  I'll wait for it to get out of beta and then put on my
>> laptop.  I'm running 10.04 on my main machine and I don't want to get to
>> adventuresome with it.
>
> Jim, for the heck of it I installed VirtualBox 4.0.4 on the Windows 7
> partition on my laptop (it also runs natty in it's own partition, so I
> know natty w/Unity works on the machine). When I first booted into natty
> it defaulted to GNOME 2 (Ubuntu Classic). I then installed:
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
> <quote>
>      VirtualBox 4.0.5 Guest Additions pre-release. The Guest Additions in
> the VirtualBox 4.0.4 packages do not support the most recent Linux
> distribution versions with X.Org Server 1.10 and version 2.6.38 of the
> Linux kernel. If you install such a guest (e.g. Ubuntu 11.04 or Fedora
> 15) you should use this Guest Additions pre-release. If you use an older
> Linux distribution as a guest there is no need to download it. Download
> </quote>
>
> rebooted, and it now comes up with the Unity desktop. Note: I only have
> 128MB Video Memory assigned&  I do have 3D enabled.

Those are my setting also.

> So installed:
> VirtualBox 4.0.4
> VirtualBox 4.0.4 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack
> VirtualBox 4.0.5 Guest Additions pre-release
> and it's working a-ok. Go back to Settings|Display&  tick 'Enable 3D
> Acceleration'&  start the VM. After natty boots, install VirtualBox
> 4.0.5 Guest Additions pre-release&  restart the VM.

By the tine I got there the Extension Pack was at 4.0.6. Could you clear
up something.  I'm confused about the reference to 4.0.5 Guest
Additions. I thought that was Vers 3 terminology and now they are called
Extension Packs.  So when they say 4.0.5 Guest Addition pre-release they
are talking about an update to 4.04 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack,
right? Or maybe this my problem and need something else installed

I've done what you outline above and still don't see anything that looks
like Unity.

For the record my host is a HP with an Athlon quad core and 8GB of
memory with video being a Geforce 9100.  I gotta think that would run
Unity if I installed Natty for real.

jfb at jfb-ubuntu64:~$ VBoxManage list extpacks
Extension Packs: 1
Pack no. 0:   Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack
Version:      4.0.6
Revision:     71344
E1000 support.
VRDE Module:  VBoxVRDP
Usable:       true
Why unusable:

Indicates the Extension Pack is installed and usable.

If I can't resolve this without too much more hassle I think I will just
remove the VM make a new one using the correct setting out of the box
and then install Natty.

Thanks for your help.

Regards, Jim

PS I discovered that when I was using my laptop I was sending HTML
messages, that was not my intent.