Oh, please, please, COME ON Ubuntu development people!

Smoot Carl-Mitchell smoot at tic.com
Thu Apr 21 16:40:25 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-04-21 at 17:08 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

> Released versions only ever ran on Alpha. It was developed on MIPS but
> that version was never released, and after Compaw bought DEC and then
> HP bought Compaq, Tru64 was ported to Itanium, but again, never
> released; HP simply killed the product and laid off the developers.

Sadly, true.  I used Tru64 clustering which was the best Unix clustering
solution I have ever seen to this day.  It was a beautifully engineered
single image system.  You could manage the entire cluster, regardless of
which node your process ran on.  All the OS common system information
was shared across the cluster.  Of course this required SAN or at least
shared bus storage.  Much of the engineering was ported from VAX
Clustering. HP killed it in favor of Veritas clustering for "marketing"
reasons.

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect