Oh, please, please, COME ON Ubuntu development people!

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 16:08:27 UTC 2011

On 21 April 2011 16:33, Mike McGinn <mikemcginn at mcginnweb.net> wrote:

> On Thursday, April 21, 2011 11:18:58 Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
>> On Thu, 2011-04-21 at 12:04 +0200, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>> > The story is then that Olson was so pissed off that he put the PDP-11
>> > within 9 months in the market and when you opened the 2 boxes you didn't
>> > find much difference.
>> > I assume other computer veterans on this list can give better details on
>> > this.
>> > Any way on this site > http://gunkies.org/wiki/PDP-11
>> > the PDP11-20 is said to be set into the market in 1970 and ran several
>> > OS. Unix (DEC name: Ultrix) was one of them.
>>
>> Ultrix did not appear until after the AT&T breakup in the early 80s.
>> Ultrix was a derivative of the BSD Unix work and ran on the VAX
>> hardware. I think you could get a PDP-11 version, but I am not sure
>> about that.  In the 70s Unix was put out under various research
>> "Editions".  The last one from AT&T before the commercial System 3 was
>> Edition 7.  I still have a paper manual for Edition 7 lying around the
>> house somewhere.  Remarkably, the basic OS API and filesystem
>> permissions and structure is very similar to any modern Unix or Linux
>> system.  Any competent sysadmin or programmer familiar with Linux would
>> feel right at home on Edition 7.
>
> My first exposure to Ultrix was on the Alpha hardware. The later changed the
> name to "Digital Unix". It was not a bad system to develop on. Most of the
> places that I knew of with VAXes ran VMS, including the big physics labs.

I think your memories are a bit confused.

Ultrix never ran on Alpha. Ultrix ran only on VAXes, VAXstations and
DEC's MIPS-powered DECstations.

The Unix for Alpha was originally called OSF/1. Version 3.1 was
renamed Digital UNIX. Version 4 was renamed again, sadly, to the
horrible, twee "Tru64 UNIX."

Released versions only ever ran on Alpha. It was developed on MIPS but
that version was never released, and after Compaw bought DEC and then
HP bought Compaq, Tru64 was ported to Itanium, but again, never
released; HP simply killed the product and laid off the developers.

This is why proprietary Unix was a bad thing, kids. Too much infighting.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com