Video memory

Zach zach at zcsmith.com
Sat Apr 16 11:43:06 UTC 2011

    I've been experimenting w/ Ubuntu 11.4 beta (2) and was wondering
just how much video card memory is required in order for everything to
run smooth.  I currently have an nVidia 9500GT with one gig of video RAM
and while it does great in "classic" Ubuntu mode w/o effects turned on,
the same can't be said when the effects are on or in the Unity desktop
(which I'm not thrilled with anyway but that's another thread for
another time).  Now granted the 9500GT isn't top of the line but I would
think I could run a 3-D app/game without the choppy display when using
Compiz in the background in classic or Unity mode.  Does this behavior
clear up with cards having more RAM and/or faster chips?  Been thinking
about getting a new video card anyway but would like to know where to
start as far as what the video processor speed and RAM threshold is.
Thanks for any advice.

    Zach