Mail Server / Exchange Server

Amedee Van Gasse amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Tue Apr 12 09:15:05 UTC 2011

On Tue, April 12, 2011 02:10, Patton Echols wrote:

> Second, <noob mode=elevated> The organization's current service limits
> the number of emails per day.  The service says "everyone does it that
> way"  If hosting ones own service, isn't it just a function of bandwidth?

It depends.
Some ISP's block all outgoing SMTP traffic to external servers and force
you to use their server.
If there is no such blocking then yes, essentially it's just a function of
bandwidth. But I recommend against hosting a mailserver on a regular ISP
connection. Lots of spam filters are really picky about this. This will
probably be the case because you talked about a small organisation.

> Third, If my mail server is a virtual server in a data center somewhere,
> and serve mail out of it, does my server deliver mail through some other
> provider's server?  Or direct to recipients?  If the answer is "either"
> how does one decide?

A mail server in a data center (or in the cloud) is probably a better
solution. Your mail will go direct to the recipients' mail server.

> Finally, the organization's mail is currently hosted on a  exchange
> server, but I am told that it is really only being used for mail.  Does
> anyone know what else an exchange server can do that is useful? and or
> is there a particularly "fine manual" that I should read?

Calendar, Address book, just to name 2 of Exchange's groupware functions.

--
Amedee