Wireless connecting to play music

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 00:05:32 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 11:31 -0700, Sam Albers wrote:
> Hello there,
>

> I am having a little trouble figuring something out and I was just
> hoping that someone might point me in the right direction. I am sure
> that there is a tutorial somewhere on how to do this but I can't seem
> to find it.
>

> Here is what I was hoping to do: I have an older machine that I am not
> using and I would like to use it as a wireless music box. That is, I
> would like to be able to be sitting on the couch with my main machine
> and be able to control my music wirelessly. So I am envisioning the
> older machine having all the music files on it and being able to
> somehow connect to that machine which presumably would be running
> Ubuntu. The older machine, connect wirelessly to my router, would be
> plugged into my stereo while the other machine would not (although
> also connected wireless to the router). Also, if possible I would like
> to be able to connect using not only my Ubuntu machine but other
> computers running different OSes (Mac, Windows, etc). Can anyone
> recommend a decent way to accomplish this?

XBMC is the real deal. I absolutely love it and it needs a dedicated box
to run on, if you turn on ~all~ of the bells and whistles. It is the
shizznitz of home media server/players. Truly fantastic. It was the
original X Box Media Player, hence XBMC.

I love the light show! It makes the rest look like pikers. With my pain
medication kicked in, I get really zoned watching it. It'll send
audio/video to anything you can manage to get connected to it. Plus, you
can use IR controls so you can just lie down on the couch, and drool for
awhile, without getting up. I think it's in the repos, but if not a
google search will direct you to their ppa that you can add to be
automagically updated. Ric

Linux user# 44256