Wireless connecting to play music

Robert Spanjaard spamtrap at arumes.com
Thu Apr 7 20:25:31 UTC 2011

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 11:31:44 -0700, Sam Albers wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I am having a little trouble figuring something out and I was just
> hoping that someone might point me in the right direction. I am sure
> that there is a tutorial somewhere on how to do this but I can't seem to
> find it.
>
> Here is what I was hoping to do: I have an older machine that I am not
> using and I would like to use it as a wireless music box. That is, I
> would like to be able to be sitting on the couch with my main machine
> and be able to control my music wirelessly. So I am envisioning the
> older machine having all the music files on it and being able to somehow
> connect to that machine which presumably would be running Ubuntu. The
> older machine, connect wirelessly to my router, would be plugged into my
> stereo while the other machine would not (although also connected
> wireless to the router). Also, if possible I would like to be able to
> connect using not only my Ubuntu machine but other computers running
> different OSes (Mac, Windows, etc). Can anyone recommend a decent way to
> accomplish this?
>
> I am running the newest version of Ubuntu on both machines right now.
>
> Thanks in advance!

You could try MPD as a player, and something like gbemol as an interface.
Both programs are available in the Ubuntu repositories.

"gbemol allows you to use MPD with a userfriendly interface. Features
include an easy-to-use, tag-oriented library browser, a two mode playlist,
cover art support (APIC tag only, for now), system tray icon docking,
song, album and artist information.

Music Player Daemon is a server that allows remote access for playing
audio files, streams and managing playlists. The daemon is controlled
through a client which need not run on the same computer mpd runs on."

--
Regards, Robert                                      http://www.arumes.com