HEADS UP: Check your devices' UDMA settings - *TEMPORARY* *WORKAROUND*

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu Apr 7 00:39:40 UTC 2011

On 07/04/2011 06:02, chris wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 17:13 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
> <snip>
>> Now all I need is for someone to tell me how to get this fix into grub
>> so that it is executed whenever I boot up. I read the grub2 doco and I
>> am buggered if I can get grub2 to automatically boot with this fix in
>> its boot parameters
>>
> <snip>
>
> Can you not add the line in /boot/grub/grub.conf ?

Well, that is for the legacy grub (which openSUSE still uses, BTW, or at
least in 11.4). Nils gave me the insight, and what you do is to alter
the entry in /etc/default/grub to read

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="libata.force=X:80c" where X is the line being incorrectly set by the kernel. In my case I typed in 'libata.force=2:80c'.

The run 'sudo update-grub'. On the next reboot the UDMA will be set correctly.

BC

--

"I believe what I am programmed to believe."
                     A robot in Futuruma